Africa Tourism Leadership Awards
About the awards
Please note that particular attention and recognition will be given to nominees who can prove commitment to leadership through sustainability in tourism policy and practices.
Leading in Progressive Policies’ Award
A country, head of state, minister or government organization/team who has shown progressive and excellence in policy-making for sustainable tourism growth and development in their destination.
Outstanding Entrepreneurship Award
An entrepreneur (or a small group of entrepreneurs) who has shown excellence in entrepreneurship in Africa’s travel, tourism, hospitality and/or aviation industry.
Women in Leadership
The most inspiring and influential leading woman who has and continue to make and outstanding contribution to changing the course of tourism development in Africa.
Most Innovative Business Tourism Destination Award
Most Innovative and Sustainable Business Tourism and MICE Destination in Africa based on destination rating, number of classified hotels, value for money, value chain development, number of visitors vs socio-economic benefits to the destination and/or green credentials.
Outstanding Accommodation Facility / Group Award
Accommodation facility with best world class facilities, quality standards, service excellence provided to guests and sustainable practices (i.e. green credentials, decent employment practices, staff development opportunities) in Africa. Small operations are highly encouraged to participate.
Outstanding Tourism Transportation Award
Tourism transport organization providing the highest quality standard of service to travelers and has sustainability environmental credentials. This includes the most reliable and efficient transportation companies serving all destination in Africa including remote tourism destinations in Africa.
Outstanding Africa Tourism Media & Marketing Award
The most influential media and/or marketing contribution to changing the image of Africa.
Championing Sustainability Award
Destination, business, third sector organization or policy that has made an outstanding contribution to conservation/ environmental protection and community development.
Destination Africa - Lifetime Award
This will be offered to an individual who has made exceptional lifetime contribution in creating positive change in relation to “Destination Africa” beyond the African continent.
The experts making up the nomination committee nominate three (3) nominees for each category on the basis of nomination received based on the following attributes:
- nominees must be a stakeholder in Africa’s travel, tourism, hospitality and aviation industries – including public, private, third sector stakeholders, individuals or group of individuals, destinations, communities and other stakeholders operating in Africa.
- nominees must be doing something outstanding and innovative with measurable results.
- nominees must be involved in an outstanding project or initiative and demonstrate consistent achievements over a period of a minimum of 2 years.
- nominees must be able to demonstrate the sustainability of their operation in terms of the economic as well as environment and social impact (e.g. environmentally sensitive, ethical in their operations, inclusive in their workforce engagement).
- nominees must demonstrate some level innovation in entrepreneurship and/or technology.
- Only one nominee will receive an Award in each category.
- Auditing of awards will be done by BDO, South Africa
- Nominees must be change-makers (individuals, organizations, countries and destinations) who are enhancing the competitiveness of Africa’s Travel and Tourism industry.
- A case for nomination using the attached form should be used. The form should include a maximum 500 words indicating max FIVE (5) most important reasons (organized in bullet points) for their nominations should be sent by email to : email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than the 30 June, 2019
- The Nomination Committee will finalize the list of Awards’ recipients and this will be audited by BDO South Africa for announcement on 30 August, 2019.
- Nomination tally is however NOT the final consideration in the award as nominations will be considered alongside committee evaluation of the category.
- The decisions of the committee and auditors will be final.
- The nominees can self-nominate or be nominated by others (by using the attached Nomination Form) and awards will be adjudicated by the committee.
- All nominees will be notified by Africa Tourism Partners about their nomination.
- Finalists may be asked to provide supporting materials including photos, videos, weblink, newspaper articles, brochures for marketing purposes to help promote themselves to voters
- By accepting nomination, the nominee agrees (he/she, organization, destination or country representative) to attend the ATLF and Awards Ceremony in Durban, South Africa on 30 August, 2019.
- Free invitation to ATLF Master Class (in sustainable product development, MICE and Marketing) Awards Dinner and any side events.
- An opportunity to showcase services, products or destination during ATLF 29 to 30 August, 2020.
- An endorsement by a nomination committee formed by internationally. acclaimed experts.
- The opportunity to present the awardee’s work to world at ATLF, and 12 months outstanding international media and digital marketing exposure at no cost.
- Winners will be invited to attend 2020 ATLF and Awards.
- Submission of nominees – 06 May, 2019
- Announcement of Nominees – 10 August
- Announcement of winners at ATLF Awards Dinner – Friday, 30 August, 2019 in Durban, South Africa.
CONTACT DETAILS FOR SUBMISSION
Tel : +2781 303 7030